Tajik Technical University (TTU) named after academician M. Osimi was founded in 1956 as a Stalinabad Polytechnical Institute. TTU is the first and leading higher technical educational institution in Tajikistan.
In 1961 Stalinabad Polytechnical Institute was renamed into the Tajik Polytechnic Institute (TPI).
In 1992 Tajik Polytechnical Institute was awarded the status of the Technical University.
In 1997 the Tajik Technical University was named after the first rector – the famous scientist and statesman Muhammad Osimi
Over the years the University has trained more than 60,000 engineers, architects, industry economists and scientific-pedagogical specialists of high qualification in the field of energy , architecture and construction, transport, telecommunications technology , management and transport construction , as well as metallurgy and chemical engineering , who work not only in Tajikistan , but also far abroad .
University is constantly developing new and effective methods of organizing and improving the educational process and research activities aimed to develop the professional thinking of future specialists, to train highly qualified engineers capable to solve the most important technical and social problems. Currently, training is conducted on 64 specialties at 40 humanities general education, general engineering departments.
The University has 7 faculties, Khujand Polytechnical Institute and Dushanbe Technical College. Also, the University has 8 dormitories including one for foreigners
The Power Engineering Faculty is one of the largest faculties of the University. it exists since its inception. There are 7 departments on 9 specialties.
The faculty of Information and communication technologies is one of the leading educational and scientific departments of the University, which prepares specialists on information and communication technologies and management. There are 5 departments on 3 specialties.
The faculty of Innovation Technologies – was founded in 2016 based on the merger of two faculties – Faculty of Mechanical Technology and the Faculty of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy. It consists of 9 departments on 16 specialties.
The Faculty of Construction and Architecture, is one of the oldest faculties of the university. There are 9 faculties on 11 specialties.
The Faculty of Transport was established in 2007 on the basis of certain specialties automobile – road faculty, where some specialties have been conducted since 1956 as well as a number of specialties of the former Institute of Transport of Tajikistan. The Faculty consists of 5 departments on 8 specialties.
Faculty of Management and transport communications – was founded in 2007 on the basis of some specialties Automobile and Road faculty. There are 5 departments on 8 specialties .
In 2012, a Joint Engineering Technical Faculty was opened by the Tajik Technical University and Belarusian National Technical University. Training profiles: Mechanical engineering; Construction; Architecture; Transport; Medical equipment.